Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Pseudo New Year Resolution

So the only way I could be anymore behind on the blog is if I just gave the whole thing up and QUIT! Some of you probably thought I did with the lack of blogging in my life. I guess sometimes my real life takes over my happier and less chaotic "blog/virtual life". I am so far behind on reading every one's blogs and writing in my own that I don't even know where to start.
Maybe I will just say this, I don't really get into New Year Resolutions but I think what 2009 has brought to my life so far is a renewed desire to become a nurse. I should have just done it a long time ago when I was at WSU, but many things prevented me from doing that. First of all, my first bio sci class was one of those typical HUGE classes and I was taking notes for myself as well as my high school friend that was sleeping in the chair next to me. I was still adjusting to college life, mostly trying to balance fun and school, and therefore I earned a C in the class and decided that if I can't do better than a C in a basic science class then I should just come to the realization early that I'm not a science girl and do something else. I had always wanted to be a teacher too, so I pursued that with great passion. Another ridiculous, but true, reason I didn't do nursing at WSU was because the last 2 years of the program were in Spokane and I didn't want to leave Pullman. Stupid? Maybe. But, nevertheless, the truth. I was having too much fun. I lived in G215 for goodness sake, could life be any better? We had paper parties (stapling shredded paper to the ceiling), we watched "wheel" (our roommate who owned the TV got mad at us and took it into her room, so we found a 10 speed bike tire on the side of the road, brought it home, and put it where the TV used to live. We watched "wheel"), and we had THE WALL (one large, blank wall where you could post anything from a passed or failed test, a rejection letter from the vet school you were dying to get into, your bra, pictures of hot guys from magazines or anything else that seemed important at the time). I had fun roommates and unforgettable memories. I do not regret my decision. But now I think I'm over hanging out with other people's children. Maybe I'm just burned out from subbing too long. I'm not trying to mislead any of my readers by making you think I'm some veteran teacher who is burned out and ready to move on. The story is quite the opposite. With Matt being in the service, we moved around quite a bit. The longest stay we had was on the island of Oahu for 3 years. During that time, I interviewed for a few jobs and got turned down from all of them. Everywhere else I just did sub jobs because we weren't there for an entire school year. So I'm tired of subbing. As a type A, organized, schedule loving teacher, going into a new school with a different floor plan, reading lessons as the kids are walking in the door and trying to outsmart kids who are trying to pull one over on you all day just gets old...FAST. Maybe I would feel differently if I had a contracted job, but I don't. So back to the whole new year, 2009, renewal thingy....I have decided, after many moons of thinking I can't, that I am smart enough, dedicated enough, and gosh darn it, people like me. Now, do not be fooled, it will not happen this year, and possibly not even next, but believe-you-me, I will wear scrubs to work one day.

2 comments:

Rachel May said...

You know...you COULD homeschool...teaching what and how you want, know your school floor plan, and you can smack the kids... :)

christyephillips said...

Good for you! I say go for it! No matter when it happens, you've got time.