Thursday, November 13, 2008

Visit with Great Grandma Mickie

On Tuesday, we drove about an hour and a half north to visit with my Grandma Mickie and my Aunt Jackie. My Grandma Mickie is the one that Addie is named after. My Grandma's middle name is Adeline. I only found that out after telling my Grandma some names that I liked out of the Baby Name book. I told her I liked the name Adeline and she said, "No way! That's my middle name." I liked several other names besides Adeline, but once I found out that was her name I knew I wanted to name my daughter after her. My Grandma is a wonderful lady for so many reasons. She is strong, independent (almost to a fault), brutally honest, generous, genuine and has a great sense of humor. As she gets older, I seem to feel a more urgent feeling to know her better and see her more often. When she leaves us to go somewhere better, she will leave a hole in my life that will never be filled again. She is the only grandparent I have that I really feel like I know. The rest of my grandparents either died when I was too young to really know them, or they live too far away for me to see them frequently enough to feel like I know them. I know she is proud to have Addie named after her, but the honor is really all mine. The only thing I feel sad about is that Addie will never have the privilege of really knowing who her Great Grandma Mickie. Addie is missing out.

This is my Aunt Jackie, who could just as easily be my own mother with as much as we look alike.



Tucker's water cup was out in the car, so my Grandma decided she had a "small cup" to give Tucker so he could have a drink of water....this is what she gave him. This glass is basically better than any of the China that I own. He felt very special drinking out of this cup...I felt like a nervous wreck.

No comments: