Friday, November 14, 2008

Today I found my Chi

I have been courageous in the last week and have tried some group exercise classes at the gym we recently joined. My goal is to try each class they offer, at least once. Unfortunately for the other participants, this includes Latin Impact!!! Don't worry, I will be sure to share how I shake my groove thang in that class.

On Monday, I went to Hip Hop...yeah baby, you heard me. Let's just say I'm not enough of cheerleader to really hack it in that class. Although that was the most fun I've ever had while making a complete fool out of myself (while sober). It was pretty challenging for my out of shape body and mind. I haven't had too many activities in the last 3 years that have challenged my ability to remember much more than 2 things at a time. (anyone out there relate?) And other than the fear of re-injuring my right knee, I think I would be brave enough to try again. Although I will never be able to remember the routine...I will always be the idiot in class.

Today was a different story, I found my Chi. I went to my first yoga class. I never thought standing still in funny positions to the relaxing sounds of elevator music could be exercise! Although I'm looking for my younger, leaner, firmer body, my favorite part of yoga was my "meditation". I was instructed to lay flat on the floor, concentrate on relaxing every muscle, and close my eyes. At first, my mind was racing with all the busyness of the day and then I thought to myself, "Self, this lady is telling you to sit down, shut up and chill out...LISTEN TO HER!!" Those were the most beautiful moments of my day. I usually only relax like that when I'm sleeping, but I'm not conscious to enjoy it. I have some reservations about my return to Hip Hop, but yoga lady can count on me because no matter how hard "finding my tree position" might be, I will come back for meditation.

3 comments:

Angela said...

you GO GIRL!!! Yoga is awesome! But for me, I am too anxious when she tells to me relax, like I cannot let go of the hundred other things I should be doing at that very moment and the intense guilt I feel laying there. I feel so guilty, that I hardly ever go! But it's so good for us to do it...so, maybe you've inspired me to start going again...thanks!

christyephillips said...

You brave lady, good for you! I can't wait to hear about the other classes. What does the inside of a gym look like anyway? :)

Dottie said...

yeah for yoga! Good for you trying some new classes. I looked through your other posts and those pics of Tucker sleeping are too cute. You'll cherish those forever.