Sunday, May 10, 2009

Saturday Hike- Beacon Rock

On Saturday, we made our way out to Beacon Rock for a hike. Matt wore Addie in the Kelty pack and walked the dog. I followed closely behind Tucker to make sure that he was doing ok, fully prepared with our Ergo Baby Carrier just waiting to haul him up and down the hike. This hike is one mile up and one mile down. I know he can hike that far, but it's very steep and thought he might get tired after reaching the top. Tucker is a 3 year old hiking master! He would have run both ways had it been safe! We got to the bottom and he was happy, energetic and asking for ice cream. What a kid! The whole hike is basically switchbacks and every time we would come to a switchback that faced the Columbia River, Tucker would say, "Look Mommy! The Columbia River! It's so beautiful!" EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! I love/hate how kids never get tired of listening to their own voices. We were encouraging Tucker the entire hike telling him that he was a great hiker and he was doing a hard hike and really doing well. About half way up, he started complimenting me and Matt on what a good job we were doing and encouraging us to "keep going, Mommy, you're almost there!" This is Bo on one of the switchbacks...he was enjoying the view!Tucker reached the top and was very proud of himself. He actually WANTED me to take his picture! Tucker and I did a self-portrait to document Tucker's biggest hike yet!Addie LOVES our Kelty backpack. When we got to the top, Matt took her out to give her a break from sitting in it. Just as soon as he took her out, she was leaning out of his arms, signing "more" to get back in the Kelty! Gotta love my outdoor girl!
Someone at the top took our picture (not on the scenic side) of the top of Beacon Rock. We bought a hiking book a few days ago and we are going to make it our mission to be hiking all summer. With both kids loving the outdoors and hiking, there is no excuse!
Tucker at the top of Beacon Rock! He is a hiking fool! LOVE IT!This is my favorite picture! This is Matt with Addie in the Kelty headed back down the Rock. Aren't those switchbacks crazy! I swear I didn't carry Tucker, not even once. I held his hand with what probably felt like a crushing force, but I did not carry him. I'm so proud of him!

2 comments:

Dottie said...

Those are GREAT pictures Tami!! Very cute family!

christyephillips said...

YAY! So fun and so cute! I want to hike with you guys!