Sunday, May 17, 2009

Falls Creek Falls...This One Is For Marta!

This post is dedicated to my friend Marta who lives in, and is from Louisiana. She was my first friend in DeRidder and we had lots of fun. One spring day, Matt and I suggested that her family come with ours on a hike near Fort Polk. This was an area that Matt had mountain biked before and said would be a decent place to hike. I will never forget asking Marta if she wanted to go hiking. I'm pretty sure her exact response was, "Why?". I thought it was so funny because a normal response would be something like: yes, no, I need to ask Jacob, where would you like to go...any of these would have been less funny than "why"! Now I know that Marta isn't a huge outdoors woman, but I thought I could show her a little something she doesn't know much about and maybe make a hiker out of her. Once I literally described what I meant by hiking, she got a very excited look on her face and said, "Yeah! I think I did that once in college!" I learned so much about Louisiana that day and about the people who live there. She said to me, "I didn't think people walked around in the woods unless they were looking for something to shoot." You may laugh, like I did, but that was genuinely what she thought! So....they ended up agreeing to go on this hike with us and I found out exactly why people in Louisiana do not hike. The forest was crappy and there wasn't one damn thing that was interesting to look at. So I understood her point. So Marta, my friend, this one is for you! We went on a hike, a REAL Northwest hike. It was 3.4 miles (round trip), the forest was amazing, the fast rushing water that you could hear all the way was mesmerizing and the waterfall was stunning! This is why we hike Marta!!! Thumbs up!

This is a stream crossing that we didn't exactly know was on this hike! On the way up, I carried Tucker through the crossing. On the way back....Tucker did this crossing ALL BY HIMSELF! I held his hand to make sure he didn't get in any trouble, but he did it..and didn't even get wet! He stepped in all the right places and made his way, slowly but surly, all the way across. He amazes me.
Mommy and Addie, self portrait. Self portraits are my favorite!
I have decided that self portrait at the end of our hikes will be a tradition for me and Tucker! I LOVE this picture!
Family photo....too bad the idiot who took the picture took the picture of his family too...I NEED PHOTOSHOP! Stranger Danger! Get those people out of my picture!

Addie is getting her hands dirty at the top of the hike.
I have also decided that Bo gets his own photo shoots on the hikes too. I think it's so funny that my dog Bo is so photogenic!

3 comments:

christyephillips said...

yay! too fun, i want to go for a hike! i love the previous post, it's so fun to hear about OTHER naughty kids! keep smiling (even if it's a little tense) and CHEERS to you!

Dottie said...

Great pictures Tami! How far was your hike?

Tami said...

The hike was quite a drive to get there, out in Gifford Pinchot National Forest. It was called Falls Creek Falls. It was 3.4 miles, round trip and SOOOO beautiful! You should give it a try! Let me know if you need directions, I bought a book with this hike in it.