Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Latest...

For those of you following our thriller/drama, AKA unemployment, the fight continues. Matt went to the PT test on Friday with high hopes and an injured hamstring. Even with his best efforts and pushing that hamstring beyond it's current abilities, he didn't pass. *sigh* He couldn't run as fast as he needed to due to the hamstring and some of his push ups and sit ups didn't meet the standard to be counted. He did plenty of push ups and sit ups, but not all of them counted. He told me that he has NEVER had a sit up not meet the standard in the Army. Not even in Ranger school, where they are the most picky about form. This delay is not great, but it's also not the end of the world. Matt has 30-90 days to call them back and schedule the
re-test. So he is not out of the process, they just can't continue with his paperwork until he passes. (I will let you know when he is going to reschedule) And although it would have been optimal to continue through the process without delay, this minor setback is all in His plans. We believe that all things happen for a reason and that doors open and close to help you go along the path that God has intended for us. I do believe that this "setback" has just set us up for an opportunity for me and Matt to get our diet and exercise on track and back to where we need to be. This gives us a chance to take a serious look at how we eat, what we eat and when we eat.



After moving into Matt's Moms house, we haven't been eating like we would have been in our own home. Matt's mom is a wonderful cook and I think she learned how to cook in a soup kitchen because she cooks for about 300 when she cooks. Which puts us in a situation where we have lots and lots of good tasting food, which promptly leaves its mark on our bellies and hips. We need a change and I think God has provided a real reason to make the change. We need to make better choices, even if the choices being made around us aren't for us.

We are ready for the challenge that has been given to us. We are ready to make good choices, run faster, get stronger and get through it...together. I have made it my personal challenge to train with Matt to get ready for this re-test. I have decided that I will hold myself to the same set of standards that Matt is trying to pass. (don't worry, they have female standards and male standards...my goal is not to do 45 push ups!) My intention is to support Matt while getting into kick ass shape! (BTW: I just bought another pair of jeans...another size smaller!! HIP HIP HURRAY for me!!!) Maybe I will do some sort of pretest, see how pathetic my skills are now and then blog about my progress, struggles and hacking cough from running in the cold.

Anyway, we have some goals to meet, both personally and as a family. We are ready. We are bigger and badder than the challenges before us...and plus, we have God on our side. How can we lose?

1 comment:

Rachel May said...

Exactly. I went back a ways to see the earlier post about the injury. I'll keep praying.