Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Seaside, Oregon

My Mom, the kids and I decided to mix it up and go to the beach for the day and see Batbah!  Grandpa Dan (aka Batbah...Tucker named him when Grandpa came out sounding like Batbah) was working in Astoria and met us in Seaside, Oregon for a day of fun.  This was Tucker and Addie's first beach experience!  To my surprise, they both loved it.  We will be planning our family trip to Lincoln City, Oregon very soon.   



We made our first stop in Seaside, well after some fish and chips of course, at the Seaside Aquarium.  Tucker and Addie both loved it.  Luckily, kids under 5 get in free because I'm not sure that the money that they charge is compensating you for the little bit of entertainment that awaits you inside.  Our favorite part, by far, was feeding the seals!  Some of the seals would do cute tricks to get some chopped up fish and another would just splash you if he'd had enough of waiting for his treat.  Of course I was in charge of touching the nasty chopped up fish because Tucker wouldn't do it and I didn't trust Addie not to drop one "down the hatch".  But like many things in motherhood, all the yucky was worth the looks on their faces to see the seals act silly.  
My Mom with the kids.  They are checking out a huge octopus in that tank they are leaning on.
When we left the aquarium, we decided to go to the beach!  I wasn't sure what Tucker would think because he can be skittish about new things.  He loved the sand right away but getting his feet wet was a different story.  Once he got in and started having fun it was like he'd been there a hundred times before!  When we decided to go change clothes and see more of the town, he cried.  Then when I convinced him to leave, he walked away from the water with me and then he suddenly turned around and bolted back to the water!  It took us a while to actually leave the sand and water.     

Tucker touching the beach sand for the first time. 
Once we got on the beach we saw a swings and we were drawn to them!  After being on the swings for about 15 minutes we joked that we drove 2 hours just to swing!  
Mommy and Addie's feet in the sand. Tucker running and running and running.  I think he will be a cross-country runner for sure.  Addie would cry if you tried to pick her up...she HAD to be walking on the sand.  Her little feet got so cold they were as red as the cherries on her sweatshirt!  But she didn't care, she was having a blast!One of the fun things that Batbah said we could do if we left the beach (hear the bribes?) was to drive the cars!  Batbah failed to mention to Tucker that they were bumper cars!  He HATED HATED HATED this ride!  He kept yelling at me, in between sobbing, that I was running into people!  Yeah I am!  I'm driving this bad-boy with one hand and T-boning people like crazy!  I'm an excellent driver, yeah, excellent driver.  (Rain Man anyone?)The next stop was the arcade!  Tucker is seriously good at air hockey!  He loves it.  Tucker won some tickets from playing the games so of course we had to go check out the cheap toy counter!  Tucker earned enough tickets to buy ONE tootsie pop and ONE tootsie roll.  He was SO proud!
Then we drove up to Astoria to have dinner near Batbah's hotel.  Addie has turned into such a ham for the camera!  Could she BE any cuter? (think Chandler!)
Tucker and Batbah enjoying some ice cream after dinner.  
Tucker feeding Batbah some ice cream!  We had so much fun.  We were all burned out and it was a beautiful, magnificent, and lovely quiet ride home.  My Mom and I could actually have a real conversation!  It was so much fun!  Thanks Mom and Dan!  


2 comments:

christyephillips said...

Too fun! What a great day, I miss the beach so much! Your kids are so cute!

Angela said...

Those are great photos Tami! You are getting skills!!! ;-) I love takingmy boys to the beach- somehow it fills my "mommy cup" to be near the ocean and I think that's why we do it every year- it's so calming to be there and watch your children play in the sand. No toys, no electronics, no modern-day stuff ya know?? I'm so glad you did this- what a fun day!!