Thursday, April 8, 2010

Too Much, Too Soon?


I'm in over my head. You know when you get a REALLY GOOD idea that turns out to be a pretty bad idea, well that's where I am. I've talked and talked about how I think Addie could probably start potty training and be pretty successful. So yesterday I took the plunge....and I'm sinking! I bought the Dora the Explorer pull ups, some padded training woo-woos (underwear) and some pretty princess woo-woos, oh yeah and a large box of diapers for when this all blows up in my face (hopefully not literally).
Well yesterday we had two #2's in the pull up, expected, but still not a good time. She also wore the woo-woos yesterday afternoon for a few hours without incident. She had a wet pull up only once yesterday. I thought we were off to a pretty decent start.
Today is a different story. When she is wearing diapers, she will tell me if she has gone potty or #2, which is one reason I thought she was ready for potty training. However, today she went potty in the pull up and said nothing. She yells and screams when I talk about putting a diaper on her, yet she doesn't want to go to the bathroom when I do let her wear Dora or woo-woos. I'm not sure if I've pushed it too early, or if I haven't stuck with it long enough. Pull ups are a mighty expensive way to wear a diaper, ugggh. The only thing I know for sure is, she is way too cute.

4 comments:

Jen Stokes said...

If this is a success, I will feel only shame. We tried with Campbell right after her second birthday. It did NOT go well. I think she started having nightmares. Actually, maybe I just started having nightmares. Anyway, we are on an undetermined potty-training hiatus. Please call me with step-by-step instructions if this goes well.

Angela said...

I do believe everyday single day of potty training goes different until once miraculous day it all clicks. Keep at it, take it all in stride and man alive she IS the cutest thang I ever did see!!

Dottie said...

I have to agree with Angela, every day is different. Have you thought about just putting underware on her and using pull ups at night? She'll feel the tinkle in the underware more than she will in the pull up. Good luck, I saw go a few more days and see how it goes before throwing in the towel.

Hillary Atkins said...

Oh Tami...I feel your pain! Brindley will hold her pee and poop for 22 hours...yes, hold both for 22 hours...until she has a diaper back on. She even asks to go potty and sits on the potty, but nothin'! She will go in her diaper if I give her one, but once those panties are on...forget it. I'm clueless...ugh!