Monday, July 13, 2009

Questions

So this post is a collection of questions that I wrote down (and this is no lie) at the gym. I got to the gym, dropped the kids off at the kid's gym (daycare) and went into the locker room. I went to the bathroom, had some bathroom thoughts and went back to the locker to write them down. I was standing at the locker writing in my pocket notebook and this is what happened....

Why is it I have to go to the gym to go to the bathroom alone? Why is the privacy worth having to use the hard, sand-papery industrial toilet paper? And since when does using a public bathroom become "privacy"? How unfair is that? Why does my son tell me he wants to punch me in the face? Why does he say he wants to use pepper spray on me the next morning? Which is coming first? The punch in the face or the pepper spray? Why does it matter? Why do I have to go to the gym with a ton of other people to feel alone? Where is the magic coffee that would allow me to stay home and get ripped all at the same time? Why did I close this locker just in time to be called to Kids Gym? Why?

It was a challenging day. I'll try to do better tomorrow. Less yelling. Less crying (for all of us). More patients. More love. I will try my best.

5 comments:

christyephillips said...

oh, so sorry! i hope tomorrow is a better day. i am right there with ya! (i know that doesn't really help either of us). but I will try to do better too and use a "nice" voice. I love your bathroom issues. I find myself saying alot: "Can I please just go potty by myself??"

PS. all good, valid questions, i hope you are prepared for the pepper spray, that is something i have not had to deal with. :)

Angela said...

Ahem...in addiction - - -
"why must I spend a hundred dollars to buy toys for my children to make them happy?"
"how come everytime I buy fast food no body eats it?"
"why do my boys think it's ok to tell eachother they want to KILL eachother?"
"why can't I ever climb into bed at night w/o rolling around on crumbs from cookies/crackers, etc?"

Angela said...

oops I meant "in addition" at the top of that post!

Lindsey said...

I've been there. Oh my. Tomorrow is another day.

On the bright side I like the fact that you carry a pocket notebook though, good idea.

Rachel May said...

What you've found at the gym, my friend, is anonymity. That is a precious treasure that most mothers can only find in public when their kids are elsewhere. Sadly, I don't have it because either I'm recognized without my entourage or I can't refrain from telling people about them because I feel like if I'm alone, I'm living a lie.

I could tell you how I would approach the pepper spray issue, but we are all so individual in our approaches. :) Prayers for peace over there.