Thursday, July 9, 2009

Blog-a-rific Shannon

Tonight Matt and I had a mini-date at our local McMenamins pub. We really went there to talk about the different benefit choices that his new job offers, make some decisions and fill out the paper work...but when that's my entire interaction with him for the day, I'm callin' it a "date". You call it what you want.
So on our self-proclaimed "date" Matt had taken a card out of his wallet that is credit card sized and put it on the table. It was not our method of payment, but a get-out-of-jail-free-card. I know an NYPD police officer who gave us that card. The legend is that if you get pulled over, you slip this special card in with your drivers license and whooaalla...No ticket. So we had this out on the table because we were looking at it and the waitress, our new friend Shannon, came by and picked it up thinking it was our card. We started joking about what it was and that it was not a legal form of tender. After explaining what it was she said, "Well, it's got to be worth something here. The last round is on me." Whoa. So then we start back tracking, "Oh that's ok, don't worry about it." etc. Then I finally do the smart thing, I say, "I think this is the part where we say 'Thank you', and leave it at that". She started laughing as she walked away and said, "Yeah, that's right!" Matt and I sat and enjoyed the fact that our bill was now half off...not bad, huh? So when Shannon returns to the table to hand us our bill, she says, "It turns out I don't have a tab for this table." Seriously? That totally made my day. Not only was I on a "date", I had spent the day getting my teeth wrenched at ortho, chasing Tucker and dealing with a sick Addie. Tough day. Momma deserved 2 glasses of McMenamins pinot noir! Hurray for Shannon.

8 comments:

Dory said...

Hey Tami,
I'm toying around with my blog and am wondering how I make it cute. I put a picture behind the title, but now you can't read the title because the color's the same! Do you give blogging tutorials?:)
Dory

Patti said...

Tami, you're just falling right behind your Aunt Patti. I have already used that little CHP business card (Captain Grandpa Dan's) when I was down in Palm Springs and driving a VW for a pharmacy I worked for. So I sorta, ok well, I did run a red light and the CHP officer saw me do this. Also, I would've hit him too! Did I say it was also right in front of the Sunair Pharmacy I worked for? I gave the officer my license and said "oh, my father will be very mad with me for getting a ticket" He then asked who my father was and I said the Captain of the Highway Patrol! He had to go back to the squad car and call in and verify who I was, or ask how to tear up the ticket he just wrote out!

So needless to say, I didn't get a ticket and didn't have to confront Grandpa about it. But I always had it in the back or front of my mind, that I was always good at getting out of speeding tickets! After that episode, I then took his business card and stapled it to the back of my drivers license! Back in the days when they were made of paper! Ask your mother, I'm sure she'll agree with me how I always thought we couldn't do wrong on the Calif. highways!!! Or maybe still think that way??

Kathie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathie said...

Yes, Tami....Aunt Patti really did that. And she better hope that Grandpa Dan doesn't read your blog, because she'll be in so much trouble!

Love,
Mom

Patti said...

Kathie: Please don't tell Dad I did that!!! Or if you can remember I was the one that stood up and told him that at his 85th birthday party. As I can recall, he just smiled and said he hadn't heard anything about it before. So maybe I was totally off the hook? Nice Mr. Occifer!!!

I could tell Dad about how you were weaving in and out of the car pool lane also....

Love, Patti

Dory said...

Yes, I did finally see what was right in front of me!! Thank you, though, and another day I'm going to check out that link you gave me, cause your blog is so cute! I thought it was like major website creation stuff or something.
Dory
P.S. A HUGE congratulations to Matt and all of you on his job... we heard through the grape vine and that is just great, a huge relief I'm sure. That's awesome!

Jenn said...

that's cool! i'll have to try that!