Sunday, July 26, 2009

Frustrated and Disgusted

DISCLAIMER:
This is an honest post with a real need for input. Having said that, one day this post will embarrass Tucker beyond anything he ever thought possible. Feel free to laugh. I do. If I didn't laugh, I'd spend most of my day crying.

We have been having this problem with Tucker for nearly all his life. He can't keep his hands out of his pants. (laugh, laugh, laugh...just get it out now...yes, this is what the post is REALLY about, get over it now, laugh, laugh, laugh...ready to hear the story yet? Keep reading when you have wiped your eyes clear of the tears and your stomach isn't aching with laughter)

I can't recall exactly, but I'm sure it happened around a year, or so, old. He wouldn't keep his hands out of his diaper. It got so bad that we had to seek out only zip-up pajamas because if we put him in 2 piece, or even snap-up jammies, he would put his hands in his diaper. During the night he would make it so that his penis was pointing up, and even sometimes OUT of the diaper, and we were constantly changing clothes and crib sheets. That worked until he figured out how to use the zipper.

Our current situation is that he seems physically unable to keep his hands off his penis. I know this is funny, maybe even inappropriate for blogging, but I'm honestly at my wits end! If I had a dollar for every time I tell him to get his hands out of his pants during the day, I'd be threatening to surpass Oprah's outrageous income of $275 million a year. It's embarrassing for me to take him in public. I have to keep an even closer watch on him in public because I not only have to know where he is, but I have to keep watch to make sure I can see TWO hands instead of just one. Today seemed to be record breaking for the number of times I had to ask him to take his hands out of his pants. Maybe that is why this has finally boiled over for me and I'm blogging about this, of all things! Tonight as he was laying in bed before I tucked him in, he had his hands in his pants. I told him to take his hands out of his pants, and he did. Then he put the same damn hand in his mouth to bite his nails (another fabulous habit that makes me crazy). And YUCKO!! Hands from pants to mouth? AAAHHHAHAAHAH!!! Do you hear me screaming??

Without saying too much and eternally embarrassing Matt and his brother, I will say that I thought this might be a slightly genetic trait. Today I asked my Mother-in-law if she thought her struggles were this severe and she (unfortunately) said, "no". So I guess Tucker has exceeded her expectations! Normally, that would be a good thing.

This is where my feelings are going to get very real, and consequently, might become more hilarious for you....
I am concerned!!! I am worried that he is going to get in trouble when he goes to preschool (not scheduled to happen at this time...THANK GOD!). I am freaking out because the problems seems to be getting worse, not better, or even stabilizing for that matter! Is there something really wrong with him? Are these bizarre and extreme behaviors signs of bizarre and extreme things to come? I'm grossed out.

So instead of just complaining a freaking out, I'm looking to see if there is anyone out there who has words of wisdom, helpful hints or stories that will make me feel better about my situation! Is there hope?

P.S. Good Morning, Teresa! Can you read this better now that I have switched the background? I took your "It's hard to read on the brown background" under heavy advisement and switched. I hope you like the change!

5 comments:

Dottie said...

Hi! I don't have any words of wisdom, however I do know what it feels like to be a concerned mommy. Have you googled it? what about talking to the doctor for methods? Good luck.

~kathy said...

I don't have any advice either...my little guy is younger. But you may have given me an idea of what is to come... Connor is 8 months this week and he just discovered his penis during bath time. And tonight he took his diaper off for the first time. Fun times. I'm hoping it is just because of the heat. We'll see. Good luck!

Dory said...

Hmmm... I don't know what to suggest either, other than ask his pediatrician maybe. I think it's sorta normal for boys, especially, to be into touching themselves, but it sounds like it's kind of a lot. Could he still be in the phase that some kids are, where they want to be naked all the time? I'm sure those kids outgrow that... maybe it's related? Good luck!

christyephillips said...

i don't have any advice either, sorry, i wish i could help. let me know what you find out though!

Angela said...

It sounds like a habit he has completely grown accostomed too and needs to be broken of- perhaps a discussion (repeatedly of course...) about a "trigger" word you say that will help him remember to remove his hands. Like "marshmellow" or "popcicle" (maybe he can come up with a silly word himself?) and then everytime he does it you nicely say the trigger word to help him remember to stop doing it. Just an idea...sometimes that helps little kids with the nail bitting I've heard, so why not this? BTW, my oldest still humps his bed everytime he goes to sleep - 6 years later and has been doing it since the beginning. Lovely little routine he has right before he falls asleep, I've been embarrassed before infront of people too...hang in there my dear- call me soon- I miss you!!