Monday, November 30, 2009

Let The Christmas Season Begin!

I am starting a new tradition this year that my friends introduced me to last year. The Elf on the Shelf is being delivered tomorrow morning! I've decided that on December 1st Santa will be delivering an elf to look after Tucker and Addie for the month. He will report back to Santa every night and then be located in a different place in the house in the morning. Santa wrote them a letter and gave them Christmas pajamas.

This is a copy/paste of the letter. It's actually really cute with a picture of Santa and all the rest, but I can't figure out how to get it in my blog. If anyone has a tip, let me know.

"Dear Tucker and Adeline Glem,

I am sending you a very special Elf of mine from the North Pole. His name is Alabaster Snowball. Alabaster is my Elf who is in charge of the naughty and nice list.

If you are naughty, you will be getting coal for Christmas instead of presents. However, if you are nice, my Elves and I will make sure to put some toys in my sleigh for you both on Christmas Eve.

When Alabaster arrives at your house, I would like you to find a place in your house where he can watch after you. He will be watching to see if you are naughty or nice, and then he will report back to me every night. When you wake up in the morning Alabaster will be back, but in a different place in your house. When you wake up each morning, see if you can find where he is hiding!

I hope you have fun with Alabaster Snowball. He is a very special Elf! I hope to hear good reports on your behavior, Tucker and Addie.

MERRY CHRISTMAS,

Santa Claus


I think this will be a fun and memorable tradition to start. I had to take pictures of it, not only to show you what I've done, but also so I remember what Santa did, so Santa can recreate it next year. Santa doesn't remember ANYTHING unless it's well documented. I don't think Santa is ALL that old, but Santa still needs some gentle reminders already. Damn Santa, get it together! The good news is, Santa has already started putting some thought into stocking stuffers instead of freaking out on Christmas Eve, while staring at flat, empty stockings. I don't feel as creative as my Santa used to be, but I guess it will come with time. This Santa is still working out the kinks.

Our tree is up and decorated. Tucker and Addie had a blast decorating it. We have decided to go with ribbon and bows this year because I don't have the time, energy or patients to keep up with Addie tearing the ornaments off and chewing, breaking or losing them. I have just decided to decorate with bows I don't care about so I don't have to guard the tree night and day. This picture is of their decorating job. Notice the bows are laying on the branches of the tree by the handfuls and that there isn't one bow higher than 3 feet off the ground. I "helped" that night after the kids went to bed and it's much more "balanced". Is that PC enough? My kids don't have to feel like tree decorating failures. They didn't even notice that it was different when they woke up in the morning. In fact, Tucker was taking full credit for how great it looks! I have to admit, I actually like my $20 dollars worth of ribbon and bows that are compliments of the east Vancouver Walmart. I'll post an "updated" tree photo soon. I love Christmas. I love the fact that Matt hasn't given me any hassles about putting up a tree when it's still November! I think his lack of sleep and crazy schedule might actually give me some sort of advantage...now I just need to get my timing right and give him my letter to Santa! Momma wants a new pair of shoes...and maybe some other stuff too!!

2 comments:

Dottie said...

So cute Tami! It was great to see you and the kids last night, we had alot of fun!

christyephillips said...

Love it! Our Elf, Frank, is making his appearance in the morning too! I can't wait. Last year it worked really well with Brayden. Maybe I will have an easier next couple of days. Good luck to you and Alabaster!