Thursday, October 22, 2009

You Want My Penny, But You Won't TAKE It!

Dearest Sallie,
I am writing to you to let you know that I am frustrated and angry with you. If we are ever going to work this kink out in our relationship, I think we really need to sit down and have a serious talk.

I'm ready to leave you, but I can't. I am, for better or worse, stuck with you. You have been a constant companion for the last 9 years and I would feel like there was something missing if I didn't have you. Who would I give my money to every month? Who else could make me feel guilty like you do, every time I want to buy a new pair of shoes. I know deep down in my heart you desperately need that money more than I do. Who would help me figure out how much money I can deduct on my taxes for student loan interest? I really think I would miss you dearly if you weren't in my life. I want to work this out with you. Help me, help you.

I am going to use several "I" phrases to let you know how I am feeling. I want to share with you my feelings, concerns and frustration that I have experienced in the last month. And please remember, this is my desperate attempt to make this relationship right for both of us.

I am angry. I feel angry when I pay the 10 day pay-off and then there is a dispute over ONE remaining penny. I feel frustrated that I paid the pay-off amount that was posted and then it is incorrect by some mysterious, Bermuda-Triangle-Like-Conspiracy. I feel very, very angry when I try to make things right with you, by coming to you and offering my penny, only to be told that I have to pay in whole dollar amounts. Then, when I do enter in $1.00 (and essentially offer you a NINETY NINE cent tip) you reject my offer again with some statement like "That amount exceeds your 4 day pay-off and can not be accepted". I don't know what I'm supposed to do here to make you happy. How can I make this right? I can't pay you a penny because it's not a whole dollar, but face it bitch, I don't owe you a whole dollar!! What do you want from me? ....I need to take a break. I told myself I wasn't going to yell at you. I want you to know my real feelings, not things I say out of anger...I just need a moment, please.

Ok, I'm back. I took a few deep breaths and I'm ready to finish my letter to you. I would love to make this right and pay that penny you want. I'm at a loss as to how to present that money to you. Do you want a check for a penny that will cost you a few dollars to process? Do you want me to put my penny in an envelope and then send it with a stamp on it, that by the way exceeds the loan amount? Or could you just do what I suggested in an earlier letter about just dropping the whole thing. You have clearly spent more than one penny trying to get my one penny...so why don't you just call it a bust. I'm sure if you just check my other account, you will find that the real treasure is there. You will be collecting pennies from me for many years to come, so let's just call it a truce and we will continue to do business on MY account and just leave Matt alone. Is it a deal?

Sincerely,
Tami

No comments: